St. Michael School Dress Code
We expect students to dress in a neat, clean, and modest manner. Any attire or appearance that is disruptive to the learning environment, contrary to basic Christian values, outside of age-appropriate modesty standards, or a safety (or potential safety) hazard is not appropriate.
St. Michael School upholds the Catholic values of personal respect and dignity, care for others, and the pursuit of academic excellence. Student dress, including dress for physical education, must be consistent with these values and the stated goals of St. Michael School.
Uniforms are required for all students in grades K-8. Uniforms must conform to the general guidelines stated below. Any attire worn by students on any "non-uniform" or "dress-up" days must conform to the general guidelines.
Dress Code Guidelines
1. Clothing must be in good repair -- no holes, tears, or other excessive signs of wear.
2. “Sagging” is not allowed.
3. Shirts must be tucked in by both boys and girls.
4. Girls’ shorts, skorts, skirts, or dresses will be worn no more than three inches above mid- knee in length.
5. For health and safety reasons:
6. Sport or street shoes must be comfortable, practical and neat in appearance. They will be in plain colors (black, white, red, blue, dark green, brown). Sports logos such as Nike, Adidas, etc. are acceptable. No open toe or heel. Heels should not exceed 1” in height. No platforms.
7. Writing on clothing must be appropriate to St. Michael School. (If in doubt, consult your homeroom teacher before wearing.)
8. Jewelry: one set of stud earrings for girls only. Neither dangling nor loopearrings of any kind are to be worn. A small cross or religious medal may be worn on a chain inside the polo shirt.
9. Appropriate use of facial make-up by middle school students is permitted. Real or removable tatoos are not permitted. Writing on oneself with or others with markers, henna type dies or markers, or other such coloring is also not allowed.
10. Sweatshirts: St. Michael sweatshirts may be worn everyday. Only uniform sweatshirts are to be worn in the building during the school day. They may be no longer than 5 inches below the waist and sleeves may not extend beyond the fingertips.
11. Hats and sunglasses are not to be worn in the school building. Baseball hats are not to be worn anywhere at school unless special permission is given.
12. Coats should not be worn in the classroom unless special permission has been given. They should be hung in classroom closets except during recess.
13. Hairstyles are to be neat, clean, and conducive to a quality-learning environment. Hair coloring will be the child's natural color, without dyes, bleaches, highlights, etc. Length of hair on boys is to be above the shirt collar. Boys and girls are to keep their hair out of their eyes. Hair ornaments will be kept to a minimum and complement the colors of the uniform.
14. Sweatshirts, fleece vests, and sweaters are to be worn as an extra layer over collared shirts. Remember to write your child's name on the inside color of sweatshirts, vests, and sweaters.
St Michael School has several uniform options. Students may choose from them and combine various tops and bottoms. Scouts may wear their Scouting attire on meeting days. On game days, St. Michael sports jerseys may be worn over polo shirts.
The principal will provide specific directions for any days when student attire may vary from the specified dress code. Please review the handbook for guidelines on non-uniform day attire.