St. Michael School Dress Code
We expect students to dress in a neat, clean, and modest manner. Any attire or appearance that is disruptive to the learning environment, contrary to basic Christian values, outside of age-appropriate modesty standards, or a safety (or potential safety) hazard is not appropriate.
St. Michael School upholds the Catholic values of personal respect and dignity, care for others, and the pursuit of academic excellence. Student dress, including dress for physical education, must be consistent with these values and the stated goals of St. Michael School.
Uniforms are required for all students in grades preschool-8. Uniforms must conform to the general guidelines stated below. Any attire worn by students on any “non-uniform” or “dress-up” days must conform to the general guidelines.
Dress Code Guidelines
Elementary students: (preschool-5thgrade) wear khaki (pants, shorts, skirts or skorts) or plaid (jumpers, skirts, or skorts) bottoms with navy blue polos.
Middle School students: (grades 6-8) wear khaki bottoms (pants, shorts, or skirts) with navy blue polos.
Please Note: Scouts may wear their Scouting attire on meeting days, and on game days St. Michael sports jerseys may be worn over polo shirts.
- Clothing must be in good repair and appropriately sized– no holes, tears, or other excessive signs of wear. Boys and girls slacks and shorts should be loose fitting; tight form fitting pants are not allowed.
- Shirts must be tucked in by both boys and girls.
- Girls’ shorts, skorts, skirts, or dresses will be worn no more than three inches above mid-knee in length.
- For health and safety reasons
- Shoes and socks/hose must be worn and visible at all times by both boys and girls.
- Laced shoes must be thoroughly tied.
- Only close-toed shoes are allowed.
- Sport or street shoes must be comfortable, practical and neat in appearance. They will be in plain colors. Sports logo’s Nike, Adidas, etc. are acceptable. No open toe or open heel. Heels should not exceed 1” in height. No platforms.
- Writing on clothing must be appropriate to St. Michael School. (If in doubt, consult your homeroom teacher before wearing.)
- Jewelry is limited to one set of stud earrings for girls and a small cross or religious medal may be worn on a chain inside the polo shirt. For safety reasons, neither dangling nor loop earrings of any kind are to be worn.
- Appropriate use of facial make-up by middle school students is permitted. Real or removable tattoos are not permitted; writing on oneself or others is also not allowed.
- Hats and sunglasses are not to be worn in the school building. Baseball hats are not to be worn anywhere at school unless special permission is given.
- Coats should not be worn in the classroom unless special permission has been given. They should be hung in classroom closets except during recess.
11. Hair styles are to be neat, clean, and conducive to a quality learning environment. Hair must be the child’s natural color, without dyes, bleaches, highlights, etc. Length of hair on boys is to be above the shirt collar. Boys and girls are to keep their hair out of their eyes. Hair ornaments will be kept to a minimum and complement the colors of the uniform.
- Sweatshirts, fleece vests, and sweaters are to be worn as an extra layer over collared shirts. Remember to write your child’s name on the inside collar off sweatshirts, vests, and sweaters.
Uniform options are linked below. Students may choose from them and combine various tops and bottoms. Scouts may wear their Scouting attire on meeting days. On game days, St. Michael sports jerseys may be worn over polo shirts.
Non-Uniform Guidelines (for Non-Uniform Days)
Pants– No oversized pants, or worn below the waist (sagging), must be clean and non-tattered. Sweatpants and warm-up pants are acceptable. No flannel pants or pajama bottoms.
Shirts– Writing on clothing must be appropriate to St. Michael Parish School. See-through clothing, halter-tops, tank tops, blouses or dresses with “spaghetti straps” or any clothing that exposes the torso is unacceptable. The torso must remain covered when arms are raised above your head.
Socks– Must match and be visible at all times.
Shoes– No open-toed shoes or sandals, flip-flops are not allowed. Laced shoes must be thoroughly tied.
Shorts– Athletic shorts are acceptable (No shorter than 3” above the knee.) No boxer shorts are allowed.
Dresses/Skirts– Must be no shorter than 3” above the knee.
Hairstyle– Are to be neat, clean, and conducive to a quality-learning environment. Hair coloring will be the child’s natural color, without dyes, bleaches, highlights, etc. Length of hair on boys is to be above the shirt collar. Students are to keep their hair out of their eyes. Hair ornaments will be kept to a minimum and complement the colors of the uniform.
Jewelry– One set of stud earrings for girls only. Neither dangling nor loop earrings of any kind are to be worn. A small cross or religious medal may be worn on a chain inside the polo shirt
Make-up– Appropriate use of facial make-up by middle school students is permitted. Real or removable tattoos are not permitted. Writing on oneself with or others with markers, henna type dies or markers, or other such coloring is not permitted.
Hats – Not Permitted
Please Note: All modesty and safety rules must be followed on “non-uniform” days.